1 min read
Posted on 12.23.08
  • 1 min read
  • Posted on 12.23.08

Some timely reminders from the City’s Department of Public Safety on a cold day:

Each year, electrical problems account for an estimated 53,000 house fires. These fires cause more than 500 deaths, injure 1,400 people, and account for $1.4 billion in property damage.

General Safety Tips:

•Do not use extension cords with space heaters, and make sure your space heater will automatically shut off if tipped over.

•Do not overload extension cords by plugging in appliances that draw a total of more watts than the rating of the cord.

•Do not run an extension cord under a rug or carpet. Heat buildup and friction could cause a fire.

•Do not allow children or flammable materials to get close to space heaters and other heat sources.

•Exposed wires can cause fires: check your extension cords frequently for signs of wear, and discard any that have breaks, tears or fraying.

•If a cord feels hot and/or there is a softening of the plastic, it could mean the cord is overloaded or the wires or connections are failing. Discard the cord and replace it.

Special Candle Safety Tips:

•Candle fires accounted for an estimated 4% of all reported home fires in 2005.

•Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.

•Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.

•Never use a candle if bottled oxygen is used in the home.